Hattie: Cape Town is a beautiful place surrounded by glorious ocean. Ocean equals fish, penguins, surfers, whales and seals amongst other things.
These in turn = Sharks.
Now I realise there is a lot of shark related hysteria out there to which I do not wish to add. However it does seem that there is a genuine risk of being munched here. Last week the Cape Times newspaper ran with the headline "Vigilance urged after Great White Sharks spotted near False Bay coast". False bay has its own Shark Spotter group- brave and fearless men and women who search for the Great Whites from the safety of their 4x4s on the mountain road above the bay...they have a danger siren and everything! (Photos- a Shark Spotter in action, one of their huts and 'be shark wise- a guide to the beach).
The last Great White sighting was in Muizenberg (where I am staying) last Monday. The last attack was on a surfer a year ago (again in Muizenberg- i'm sensing a theme here). He has now only got 1 leg but he is still surfing. The most famous attack was a few years back in Fish Hoek, an elderly lady who swam regularly. She went out for her usual swim and decided to ignore the shark alarm....all they found of her was her bathing hat!
I think, all things considered, I am not going swimming...it is much too cold anyhow.
No comments:
Post a Comment