Saturday, 4 April 2009

Siegfried update




Well sad news my friends; Siegfried will not be travelling with me to the UK with me when I return. I discovered that he is an African Leopard Tortoise and that this species does not hibernate. To attempt to hibernate him will cause him to die! To counter this I would have to build him a UV heated pen and he would need a large pen (since he will grow to be the size of a small dog- they are the 4th largest species in the world). Even I think this is a bit excessive- perhaps this is a hint to leave him in his natural 'African' habitat?!!

While on the school trip last week I came across another little chap happily walking along the road. Once he saw me he rapidly scarpered off and I let him / her be. He is a different species to Siegfried but still very cute. People here eat tortoise-I find this utterly terrible, maybe I should start a rescue centre in my spare time?!

No comments: